Now is not the time when you want your air conditioner to act up. Well, okay, there is really never a time when you do want your AC to malfunction. But the start of summer is probably up there on the list!
While summer may have just really kicked off, this is the time of year when we see more people in need of AC repairs in Charlottesville. The key thing to remember is that, if your air conditioner has started to act up already, then it certainly isn’t going to get better. The longer the issue goes unaddressed, the worse things will be. That’s why you should watch for these warning signs so you can reach out for expert service as early as possible.
7 Indicators That You Should Schedule AC Repairs Today
Watch out for any of these indicators of trouble so you know when to reach out to us for expert assistance.
- Rattling or clanging sounds: You may have noticed your AC has started to rattle or even emit a clanging noise during operation. These sounds indicate loose parts within the system. A professional is needed to get into your system to find and put those parts back before they cause more serious damage.
- Reduced airflow: How strong is the airflow coming from your system’s vents or air handlers? If it is getting weaker in one room or weaker throughout the house, you’ll need to talk to a professional to check your system.
- Reduced cooling: Of course, a big indicator that something is wrong with your cooling system is when it isn’t able to cool things off effectively. This may show up as hot and cold spots or it may show up as overall discomfort throughout the house.
- Leaking fluid: Your system isn’t supposed to leak any kind of fluid. While condensation does occur during the cooling process, it shouldn’t lead to leaks. Leaking fluid can indicate that you have a clogged condensate drain, ice build-up in the AC that is melting when the cooling cycle ends, or even a refrigerant leak.
- Short cycling: Short cycling refers to when your air conditioner’s cooling cycle is interrupted and cut short. When your air conditioner starts to short cycle, it will undermine your comfort, your system efficiency, and the well-being of your system.
- Increased energy bills: A struggling air conditioner may try to get the job done by eating up extra energy. In fact, increased energy bills may be one of the first warning signs that you have an AC that needs attention. After all, without regular AC maintenance, the AC’s energy efficiency drops by around 5%. Imagine what a more severe issue can do to your efficiency.
- Ice build-up: Contrary to what some people might think when they see ice in their air conditioner, this is bad news. Ice build-up in your system can indicate a number of problems including refrigerant leaks. If you notice ice collecting in your AC, shut the system off and talk to a professional ASAP.
Having trouble with your AC unit? Then it is time to contact Mack Morris Heating & Air Conditioning. We can’t control the weather outside of your home, but we can control the weather inside your home.